Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jan 2010 - Byron Bay


Road trip to Byron Bay with 2 Canadian girls and 3 Ozi boys. I have enjoyed getting to know the city of Brisbane and find it very entertaining with the city lights at night, and amazing places to visit and things to do, but also I have enjoyed the exotic looks and feel of the place. However, let's talk about looks of other places more down south on the coast. Once arriving to Byron Bay I truly started to believe that I wasn't just in another city/place adding (another) initial to the end of my name.


I am living my dream (and if this is a repeat I apologize) but I am truly living what I have been wanting to do. I feel as if: I have signed up to do more education, for the better I hope, and along the way they threw in a free all-inclusive vacation. "Why not? She's worked hard up to now....let's make her last year worth while".

Once arriving to the open beach, I was shaking my head: how did I get this lucky. I am on the beach, sun on my face (maybe even too much sun, but at this point I am not even thinking about that), luke-warm salty water, and it's all real. Hahah, ok so some of you have comprehended the fact that I am living in an awesome place (even before I got here), but to me it is still a little surreal!

After my first round of sunscreen, I head to the waters, the waves are awesome, not overly large, just right for the little youngsters around me that are learning to surf. I can't wait till it's my turn to learn, but for this trip, I'm sticking to body surfing. Once rested and dry, the group decides to check out the light house, called the most eastern point of Australia. After applying round 2 of sunscreen this is what you see on our walk ...



Sand, water, rocks, and trees. These pictures do not do justice to the sight, but I have never seen such strong coulours in nature. During the walk we are all sun-kissed (I can already tell my skin is done for the day), and getting thirsty and tired. Once we re-fuel with some fish and chips, decide hey, why not check out Surfers Paradise on the way home. We have energy to swim some more (forgetting that we are already burned to crisp).

We arrive to Surfers, and my mouth drops. Ever since I knew this place existed I had a clear image in my head when I hear 'Surfers' Paradise' ...



..however, the picture above is still Byron Bay. I was not able to take a picture of Surfers' because the large concrete buildings didn't allow for much view that I felt a need to capture (now this is said when sitting in a car). It is definitely a happening place, but completely not what I have pictured. Not a bad place to visit at all, I do enjoy the city feeling combined with the beach right next to it (I need to experience this place some more, up close and on foot). But I guess I am just used to being on the beaches in Canada, and they are usually surrounded by nature, and little/ no skyscrapers in sight (Vancouver is an exception to this rule, but I was always a tourist there, not a regular).

I am still very excited to visit some friends at Surfers and have the full Gold Coast experience, but now I fell much more in touch with reality. Byron Bay does have a more hippy feel to it, which some of you know, is right inline with my taste :-)

The gang ended up driving through this place, we were just drained from the sun, 3rd round of sunscreen would not help us now, and it was too busy for a sunset swim. However, I really appreciated the eye-opening experience, and now I know to do a little research on a place before I invade and conquer it lol.

I am still planning on a Surfers' invasion ...but waiting for a perfect time: when I am all charged up with energy and ready to party !!!

Still Byron Bay :-)


Light house - Byron Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment