Friday, February 5, 2010

The Girl Most Likely - Rebecca Sparrow


It is close to 2 am on Friday and I am still not packed for my 2 week adventures. I need to get some things done in the morning before I catch the train at noon to the Gold Coast, but I feel the urge to blog before I head to bed. I can always pack in the morning.

For the passed, oh just over 48 hours I have been caught up with reading a book I found amongst the collection at my new place. The lady I live with used to be a librarian plus her hobby is still collecting and reading books. Great on my part because just before my departure I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to bring my precious book-collection with me. But, just as Marcus pointed out, there are libraries and bookstore in Australia too (always the clever one). And sure enough, of all the places I could rent out, I end up living (practically) in my very own and private library. Just my luck I guess :-)

So after finding a few books that looked interesting to me, I end up reading The Girl Most Likely by Rebecca Sparrow first. I start reading and can't seem to take any breaks as I go on. I do get groceries one day, and go out shopping for clothes another, but I get the book finished just over 2 days. When I place the book on the shelf I wonder how on earth can a book grab my attention like this and can be so parallel to my experience in so many ways. This is not a book about saving the world, or about sociology or psychology in any form. Well, I'm sure one can argue, but it's just a story about a girl and a very tiny experience in her life and how she ends up coping with it. It is laugh out loud funny and at times other emotions come through as well.

I guess I find it so strange to have read this book as my first Australian author from Brisbane, and only living here 2 weeks I can get her jokes. Ladies, if you get a chance read it, gents, if you get a chance read it :-) Just for fun !

This book also got me thinking about some of my goals that are sitting on my list waiting to be crossed off. Mary, I am still owing you that list, stay tuned! Writing a book is one of them. However, reading this book puts out a challenge for me in accomplishing my goal to write a book. If this book already exist then who would want to read about my experiences? I do have loads to talk about my life and experiences of growing up amongst different cultures, making sense of these cultures, and so on. I will have to take more time and think about the direction my book will take so one day it will grab my readers' attention for 48h straight :-)

g'night
R :-)

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than curling up with a good book and not putting it down until you're finished. What's next on your list of books to read?

    I can't wait for you to get your list up. That will be a great read for me.

    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to find these book ...
    And I enjoy your blog... and isn't because... I'm how I am. Love Anya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies !!!

    Note to self:
    1) post my list of life goals
    2) post my list of books to be read

    xoxo
    R :-)

    ReplyDelete