Thursday, March 18, 2010

School is in but the distractions are endless ! - Byron Bay March 2010


Road Trip !!!

Some of you know that Byron Bay has a special place in my hear from the first time I had the chance to visit the place. It is only natural to make it our very first ROAD TRIP with 4 Canadians and 1 South African. For one night, we rented a car, a backpackers place (a room with 2 bunk beds) and hit the beach for swim and surf. It was easy to plan it all because I have been to this amazing place before. The only thing was left uncertain during our planning: do we go if it rains ???


I was up for going rain or shine ...and so were the rest of the crew (and we were very glad because the weather was on our side). After some calling around and booking the essentials, it was Saturday morning and SUNNY (not once this week we saw sun rays as amazing as the morning of our trip).

I hear a knock on my door, I open my eyes, it's Chris: so wanna trim my hair. (focus on 'trim'), yeah just the sides to make it a fo-hawk again. Days before, Chris has explained how one cannot mess up when cutting a guys hair because there is a type of thing on the end that sets the level and blah blah blah. So, I get up and think: well how hard can it be, he said I can't mess up. Renata says: sure buddy, let's trim then roll out to chase some waves.

After a little preparation, I get him to sit so I can have full control of his head. I take a breath and start front to back ... and now I can see his scalp !!! OMG ...10s silence, no one knows what to say. Hmmmm, so now what? I thought you can't mess up using an electric razor. Renata: what happened, I thought you told me this was fool proof. Chris: well yeah it is when using a trimmer, but this is an electric razor. Renata: Oh, now what? Chris: try to even it out. Renata: ok, sit again. (start the razor, take a deep breath, shave off another spot on Chris's head) Renata: hmmm, this isn't working. Chris: Oh god !

This kind of conversation goes on for a while, and now we are trying to figure out what to do with the 2 shaved spots on his head (these spots are on the same side of course). He decides that the only thing left to do is to shave both sides and create a full mohawk. By this point I'm in a state of shock and completely forgot that we still have to pick up the car and enjoy Byron Bay. All I could think about was: I am dead! Mr and Mrs Lam were going to (not sure what they were going to do) but something bad for ruining their son! Jenny, omg she will... again not sure what but do something to me! Julie and Jim, no idea what they are going to say ...but probably judge me...for what, not exactly sure ... someone please tell me what did just happen ??? ( I felt like I was 12 again and did something utterly ridiculous - I felt guilty but didn't know exactly why I was feeling that way).

Well, we cannot go back now, so I helped Chris and shaved both sides of his head, while remaining in a state of shock, then we packed up and took the bus into town to get our rental car.

Ta da:




Not sure how to feel at this point...excited yet extremely guilty.

Julie and Jim saw Chris in the morning and had the response I expected ...shock.

Once we met up with the others, and seeing Chris, I explained to the girls what has happened and got a reaction similar to ...shock.










At the rental place everything went smooth and it was our lucky day because we got a FREE up grade from a Toyota something to a Ford XR 6 ...sweetest sports sedan with a metallic blue finish that screams: LOOK AT ME! what do you think ? :-) (well, in my head, but it's a sweet ride to try out). Of course, rims, low ride, and super fast acceleration.


















Our day is sunny, we have a wicked ride, and Chris has a mohawk. I don't think we can prepare for a beach day any better even if we tried !!! The roads were great, not too much traffic, and make it to Backpackers Inn on time to unload and search for a surfing school. I completely forgot that NSW is in a different time zone so when we get there somehow we are 30min ahead then planned for (we are now behind schedule). The last surfing lessons start at 2pm and for some reason we find ourselves running around at 2:30 looking for Black Dog surf school.

Once we finally make it to our destination, we are told that we missed the lessons by 15 min. This makes us sad but oh well, we will go for a swim instead. However, just as we given up on the idea of surfing, the owner shows up with the car, and offers to drive us to meet the others on the beach. He packs up the boards and we gear up... then we are off to surf (so we think). However, we do not end up finding the gang of surfers, so we have to re-load the surf boards and head back to the store. Another time guys ! We get our refund and would like to leave a courtesy tip for driving us around ....but Dane (owner) would not have any of it! They just ask that we will come back and try it out again !!!

Dane, if you are reading this ... I am on my way !!!




















We head back to the beach and figure out what to do next. After we soak up some rays, do a little tourist visiting to the light house, see some large clouds and a beautiful sunset we decide to head back and prepare for dinner.


























































































































The BBQ at the hostel was not too shabby with live music and some wine. Once out on the town we experienced some Byron Bay night life - drinks and dancing. I wish I had a week or more to spend here because I realize one day and one night is not enough to fully enjoy Byron.



















































We mutually decide that in the am, before hitting the road, we will head back to the light house to witness the sunrise over the ocean. Long story short, the parking was closed from the day before, we park off the road but not in a designated spot since we see others do the same, and on our return this is what we find:







Nothing to worry about.
I have already written into the
Council of Byron Bay and waiting for
their reply (thanks to the help of Jim, Julie,
and Chris).



However, this story has been interrupted by spider-chasing .... I am a little disturbed and will have to finish the rest of this story another night ....

xo

4 comments:

  1. I can imagine staying focused on school is VERY DIFFICULT! Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Renata, it looks like so much fun!

    At least today it got up to 17, but it's no beach weather, that's for sure, so I'm jealous.

    I've been watching "We Can Be Heroes" since I enjoyed Summer Heights High so much, so I think I can relate to the oz sense of humour. Let me know if there's any other good comedies down there!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flight of the Concords is probably my most famous series I watch :-)

    How are things back home ???

    R :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. favorite is what I meant ....not famous !

    :-)

    ReplyDelete