Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ying and Yang discussing global development :-)

New month, new blog, it must be done regardless of the consequences lol !!!


Not naming any names, Ying (an accountant with strong economic values) and Yang (a public health nurse doing her masters in public health) had a casual conversation about a course on health and development.

Ying: "so what exactly are you working on?"
Yang: "I am trying to support my thesis on health and the effects it has on economic development in a country."

Ying: "Hmm. That's interesting since income gets you better health. Therefore it's the other way around. No?"

Yang: "Well, yes, that is what economist say, however, the whole existence of my profession relies on the notion that better health gets people working and earning."

Ying: "but health comes from having money and paying for health."

Yang: "hahah, ok let's try this again. The way you think is a theory, and has been supported by many economists. HOWEVER, my profession = public health, has also developed theories with supporting evidence and numerical figures, trends over time, present an idea that it's actually health that is MUCH needed for individuals to earn a living. Without health, people do not even get a chance in the race of life. So do you see why my job is so important ?"

Ying: "wow, you are becoming a nerd!"

Talk about brotherly love! heheh I still love you Marcus :-)

This conversation made my day! Here I am discussing and legitimizing my entire life's work to someone who supports my decisions in life yet is lost when it comes to merging our professional lives. Here I am trying VERY hard to write a paper supporting the notion which I believe in so deeply and instead I am realizing that I should be teaching this program to economic majors so they realize what exactly is keeping people in poverty ???

It's funny how the answer to human-kind's struggles and suffering relies on health and economics getting along :-) (this is an extremely simple explanation but it is along the lines of co-operations and accepting various theories to come up with a common solution.)

My bro makes completely rational arguments (supported by years, decades of theories) but made me realize that I got a LOOONG way ahead of me to ...hmmm ....co-operate with the 'way-it-is' and between the 'there-are-other-possibilities'.

Maybe I should start by writing this crazy, debilitating, frustrating, and extremely easy assignment (but it's taking me forever) so I can pass my course, ace my masters, and head on over to the economics department and ask for a job :-) hahahah NOT ! Finishing my masters and figuring out the next 2 years of my life is enough for this month lol

Either way bro, thanks for making my day and making me realize that I need to just GET ER' DONE !

I'm slacking !!!!!!!!!!!!!
R :-)

1 comment: