Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sun-kissed in Noosa !

Things have been a little chaotic ever since I got back from Fiji ...but it all has been a fun-but-not-sure-how-to-explain type of disorder. My family would describe this as the usual me: the tornado has touched down and is on the move, but I would like to think of it as: me living it up ...because I can lol!

Moving beyond the sour-times, I have decided to take a trip back to Noosa since last time it was just a click, sleep, then heading back at 6am!

I felt that I needed to truly give Noosa a second try and stay over night or 3. It is quite a hike to this place but it's worth every minute. From the 1.5h train ride that takes you through the glass house mountains to the bus ride through the breath-taking vegetation (beautiful greens, banana trees, and of course as mention before: sugarcane !!!), and an amazing 5km walk between Marcus beach and Sunshine beach only to realize that the sun sets "Not on the water????!" heheh

Side note: I finally saw some sugarcane being sold at the Saturday market in Brissie! I think I'm saved.

Back to the sunset! As I am doing my 5km hike (surprised that I'm walking? didn't think so, but I had to get a candid-shot of Marcus beach, and I bet my bro doesn't even know I did this for him lol), the sun begins to set so in response I pick up the pase and start walking faster. As I'm doing my speed-walk (perfect biomechanics) with Gregory on my back (that's right, my bag has a name ...and no this time it was not me who decide on the name, it's just happen to be the brand I choose because the colour goes with my skin tone) the sun seemed to pick up a race with me. I can see Noosa head so I'm thinking "no worries, I can make it before sun set", however, the faster I walk the faster it becomes dark. Just for kicks, I even ease my strides and slow down ....but nope, it's getting dark ....and fast !

As time goes on I realize that I'm panting. I am now almost in a slow jogging-mode trying hard to get off the sands before Noosa head disappears in front. I also notice that the water seems awfully dark. Almost aerie. I always remember sunsets making me feel warm and fuzzy inside but this time I feel like I should be running in the opposite direction to the waves. What is different here ? Sun to my left and water on my right. Sun left, water ...right? hmmm

Omg ! Sunset is away from the water! Never before I have seen the water with dark shadows within the waves, like caves, inviting you in. Serious. The tops of the wake, foamy white, just like whipped cream, but underneath that aerie dark fold of the wave. I hope I'm not scaring people away as I'm describing this but it is definitely something one has to see and experience in person. These shadows come just before complete sundown. Once it's complete darkness you cannot see anything really, only hear the waves crashing, which I find soothing. But going back to just before sun down, the waves are a tease.

Of course my camera cannot capture these waves but then again maybe it's for the best. I'll let it tease you and maybe you come and see it for yourself :-)

Funny that I didn't notice this at Surfers, because thinking about this now, sun there also sets away from the water. However, the tall buildings and the distractions on the Gold Coast take away from the effect, so I believe.

I finally arrive to Sunshine beach and end up at the surfing club. There I get directed to the nearest hostel, but of course by this time I cannot tell the streets apart. So I aimlessly walk around till a lady says to me: "You look lost. I think you need a hostel, so come with me". Not to be frightened here, she was walking her cute dog and being a nice lady offering to help me. As we walk, she asks where I'm from and get talking a bit, and as we arrive to the hostel "Dolphin backpackers", she tells me that there is a city called Toronto in NSW and that's also where she was born. "What a small world", I say and thank her very much for the guidance. As always, I thank fate for being kind to me and for sending me a lady who was born in Toronto but not in Canada.
I think it's cute !

And then I thank Karma (again) for taking me to a place where there is a Buddha statue greeting me :-) I have found Zen away from my zen (called home)

As I often do, I catch myself smiling and thinking to myself: of all the backpackers, I found the one that resembles (possibly) Indonesia. It's green, it's quiet and it's where I'm going to spend 3 nights (I got a deal if I stayed 3 nights lol).

It's funny because (having no plans) a lot ends up happening in the next few days ...but all is great :-)

First night I'm there, I get rid of my things, and head to the front desk to ask about surfing. I learn that the board rental is free and I am told that there are 2 guys who work at the hostel and could possibly take me out in the morning ...I just have to go and ask them. One of the guys, as he's jamming on his guitar, talks to me and says that he has to work tomorrow, but we end up chatting for a while anyways. Then his friend comes for a visit, a girl who's from Montreal, and we end up making plans for the next day to go and catch some waves. And finally, one more guy joins us, to make it 4 and this sets off some amazing euchre games for the rest of the night! Good company, good chats, and of course since the ladies are winning, some great euchre playing !

It's 9am, and as promised, I am ready to head out with my board and meet up with this girl. I am pumped but do not have any expectations other than preparing for the cold water. It's sunny and I'm in the zone. I have visualized being on the board (and at times bailing in the waves just so it's not totally unexpected). I feel giddy inside and just wanting to run into the waves! As I meet up with my new friend she introduces me to her boarding buddies (who actually work at a surfing school and are about to start their first lessons for the day, jack pot!) They lend me a wet suite but it's actually so sunny that I'm sweating....for the first time since May!

I zip up, I grab my board (get a crash course on standing up) and off we go!

The next 3 hours just fly by. I am learning to balance on my own. Getting the feel for the board. Half-way through I switch my board with my friend b/c her's is wider and sure enough much easier to stand up on as a beginner. Up and down, and crash, and swim back, and paddle, and up and fall, and this goes on for about 3 hours. The sun is warm and the waves are just awesome. As times goes on my legs are tired, my arms are jelly, but I am soooooo close to standing up, so I keep going.

Finally, I call a break when the salt water makes my lips sting. Otherwise I would have kept on trying. My arms are heavy and my legs are on fire. Not my muscles but my skin. Oh ouch, I look down and just above my knees it's red and shinny where skin used to be. Honestly, I didn't even care b.c my adrenaline was still through the roof.

:-) <--- my sun-kissed face after surfing


I was so pumped and happy that another goal has been accomplished. But more happy that it felt as amazing as I have imagined it (even thought I said no expectations).

After the waves, we also checked out the National park, just a bit, near Tea Trees and it was breath taking. I'll have to go back to see the entire National park since I was told Koala's enjoy hanging out there in the wild.

At night, we all grabbed a few beers and hit the dance floor !


It's 6 am ! Oh god, I promised my new friend that I would make it to yoga. I must get up. A promise is a promise (hence why I never make promises so not sure what happened here).

I have the best yogi experience and start my morning off just amazing! But still feeling a little off from surfing the day before, I let my friend go surfing as I pass out and sleep on the sand. The best sleep I have had in a long time. The aerie waves are now sparkling in the sun this morning, and sunrise has never been so fabulous (but then again, I never make it to sunrise, and not sure if I will again lol). I feel like I'm at complete peace. My body still sore from surfing and now yoga, and I watch as about 30 people out on the water all trying to catch the best wave of the morning. My friend is also out there and if my arms didn't feel like they were rocks I would be out there with him. As he takes a break we chat, discuss life and its strange ways and continue to sleep on the warm sand.

As we see dolphins jumping and swimming around the surfers I think to my self: yup, this is for real. I'm having just the best morning ever (sore arms, back, and all)
:-)

The sun does end up fading today and so is my energy. I am pooped but still end up doing stuff during the day: lunch, shopping, etc..... chilling like it's my day job :-)
(who knows when I will have a chance to do nothing all day long)

On our last dinner with the gang, we end up cooking a feast and play one last awesome-female-dominated euchre :-)

My tan has faded but I have some marks left on my legs from surfing. I wish I could just pick up and head out to the water again but ....Monday is back to reality.

A winter break to remember: surf, sun, and sand :-)

Polish: Zycie jest piekne



R :-)
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment