Tuesday, November 9, 2010

To my friends ...

I received this email from a friend way back in first year uni. She sent this as a reminder to all the high school friends how much we mean to each other. Now, 7 years later and over 15 000 km on the other side of the world, I found this letter amongst a pile of documents I brought with me on the road. I think it's quite appropriate to post just before my next adventure !

Enjoy and thank you Sarah !!!
R :-)


Dear Friends,


Somewhere between the procrastination ...and the homework...and the incessant forwards...and the friendships...and the calls to each other complaining about crushes !!

Somewhere between the phone calls to old friends..and the "I miss you's" and the "I love yous"...and the "What are we doing tonight's?"...

...and somewhere between all the changing, growing...somewhere between the classes...and skipping classes...and the studying for tests...and the pretending to study for tests...and the downright NOT studying for tests...I forgot....

I forgot what growing up is all about.

I forgot what it means to cry....I forgot that pretending to be happy doesn't make you happy...and that pretending to be smart doesn't make you smart...

I forgot that you can't just forget the past in fear of the future...I forgot that you can't control falling in love....and that you can't make yourself fall in love...

I learned that I can love...

I learned that it's ok to mess up ....and it's ok to ask for help...and it's ok to feel crud...

I learned it's ok to complain and whine to all your friends for a whole day...I learned that sometime the things you want the most you just can't have.

I learned that the greatest thing about school isn't the dances or the drinking or the hook-ups...it's the friendships, which means taking chances...

I learned that sometimes the things we want to forget are the things which we most need to talk about...I learned that letter from friends are the most important thing.

Sending cards to your friends makes you feel better, so basically I learned that my friends ....both old and new ...are important people to me.

Without them, I would not be who I am today ...so this is a thank you to all of my friends ...for always being there ....and I love you !

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment