Tuesday, December 14, 2010

UQ Graduation 2010 - Brisbane, Australia


Graduation ceremonies are respected by many however, there is always a handful of people who consider them (if I can paraphrase properly here): a nuisance. To these few, (again based on what people have voiced to me) graduation is an event driven by money or it is an unnecessary event where people practice self-control when really all they want to do is stand up and walk out with their stamped piece of paper in hand just before the long-winded speeches begin (aka: waste of time). Personally, I too have thought these same conflicting thoughts but attending graduation has always outweighed not attending (even though I highly considered bailing out on my masters graduation day, solely due to travel plans!). I am definitely one of those individuals who very much enjoy making a big deal about graduation and have as many supporters in the audience as possible to see me (may or may-not make a disaster on stage but none-of-the-less) walk across the stage and receive my empty degree holder in hand. In 2010, these (and minus ONE) are the people who encouraged me to attend graduation day !

The people you see in this picture (minus ONE) are those who I consider my-family-while-away-from-my-family. These individuals are in some part (if not fully) responsible in a) encouraging me to attend this year's graduation b) my success in finishing my masters and c) all my experiences which we shared together... while visiting down under. They are the reason (minus ONE plus a few others) why my 2010 was so wonderful and filled with experiences one (or I) will never forget.


The hustle and bustle of the day gets everyone a little excited and extra organized mainly to be on time for the festivities. There is a strict schedule for the days' events which most people respect in order to allow for smooth executions. Then there is me. I am taking my time, taking pictures in the great court even though I am being hurried on by some of the people in my cheering squad. Only to arrive to the designated 'gown pick-up' location and realize that it has been relocated, AND NOW THINGS GET HOT ! Once we all realize that it's only minutes away from the start of the ceremonies I still don't have a gown !!!!!! Everyone ....run ! Thanks to a friend (who is a phd student at uni) ran ahead to try and find the gown place, and we realized that the relocated venue is across from the event building. FEw! saved !










A few pictures, taking it easy again.....wait a minute ....people are walking in ...no wait ..running into the event hall. "Renata, will you go and line up already ....graduation is starting!" says one of my cheering squad members! So I finally listen and walk in....



Only to realize that everyone is lined up ..... oh man I am so late now. I am on the verge of asking someone inline for some direction when a lady with a headset on asks: are you walking on at 2pm...... ? I reply: yes! She grabs my gown (as my hands are buried somewhere under there) and rushes me into a room ...others watching (I am totally embarrassed as I realize that everything is about to start and I am totally not cooperating with the set schedule). She grabs a sheet off the tables set up in this room, and asks if the name on the paper is me (last paper standing). Sure enough, it's me. I say: yes ! #39 .....she starts running to the front of the line ....asking people oh so often of their numbers......finally: "are you 38".... ? "yes!" Ok Renata, get in line and WALK ! I think to myself: perfect timing..... and I start walking into the event hall on cue with everyone else.


















My heart did beat a little fast by this time but I still don't know why people take things so seriously. I made it into the line on time and so what if I didn't ....there was 2h for people to sit around and receive their specially stamped piece of paper (then sit and listen to some incredible speeches). There was lots of time for me to walk and get organized. lol





And there you have it. This little story pretty much sums up my masters program, my experiences with friends in the land of awesomeness (aka: Australia), and everything else in the year 2010.





















I would like to thank everyone for

a) putting up with me while being late all the time, taking things too easy, and at times maybe even driving you a little bonkers only because I was more lassie-fair with most of my plans

b) being there for me even though what was mentioned above

c) and lastly, giving me a lifetime of memories which will never be forgotten.

Because of the people I have met this year I am a better person and I am able to continue my adventures in the new year with a sense of excitement for the future and further attempt to fulfill my curious soul. I learned ways to listen to others like never before, contemplate and share ideas, and create true friendships across the globe. I feel very fortunate for every experience, every hick-up, and mistakes that I made. Because these are the experiences that have matured me to become a better friend, tenant, roommate, colleague, woman's advocate, and a soulful traveler all at once.


Wishing those who have made my 2010 peace and happiness, health and strength for the new year. May our paths cross again anywhere and at anytime on a path that suits our desire.























Congratulations SPH students 2010!!!
(and breath)

xo
R :-)







2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Renata! What an amazing accomplishment and a beautiful tribute to your year.

    I am so fortunate to have you back in my life. I hope in this coming year that we can continue to foster our friendship.

    All the very best to you in 2011 and always, my friend.

    AND--That last picture is AMAZING! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary ! And I have to say likewise to your comment ! I am looking forward to our adventures we get to share in 2011 !

    Thanks for all your support ! You are an (my) inspiration !

    xo
    R :-)

    ReplyDelete