Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Experiencing a World of Winters - Cape Town 2011

As most of you know, (if not before, then you will now) that I love summer. We can say that each season comes with some good things, but for me summer is the ONLY season I can truly love. I guess the 'warm' weather is key for me. So technically, it could be windy, rainy, sunny, cloudy and all else in between as long as it's warm. Fall is funny you see as the warm weather can linger around longer for an Indian-summer which I also enjoy. The leave changing colours is probably another reason I will put up with Fall but that's about it. I'd say Summer and Fall will have to be my favorite time(s) of the year.

For this same reason, I assumed what better place to visit then Australia. A place where it's always summer and their winter is considered Fall-like (in snowy nations). Before my trip I felt as if I have figured out the best possible math equation to have warm weather in my life all year around. RIGHT? Wrong !

"It's Australia, it has to be hot" (assumptions gets you in to trouble, or in my case, very surprised). I packed up my suitcase and turned my back on Ol'man Canadian-Winter only to arrive in the tropical Queensland heat which was wrapping up in the month of February. Friends who were living in Brisbane did warn me and suggested "you should being sweaters, but it's not very cold in the winter months." I did not know how to respond to this exactly as my thoughts were focused on the country's famous heat waves. I packed maybe 2 warm clothes and wished never to use them. I quickly learned that houses in the tropics are not insulated as winter only lasts for about 3 months (spring and fall are still cold but only in the night time, let's remember). Oh the joys of trying to fall asleep while the temperatures dip into the single digits for 3-4 straight months. The only way I was able to manage with Ol'man Australian-Winter was by purchasing, get this, winter clothes. Sweaters, pants, socks, house shoes, and everything else you would NOT think of buying in a tropical country. I had layers of blankets on me while sleeping in as many layers of clothing as it was possible. I got very skilled when sleeping with a scarf on and not strangling myself.

The winter months rolled by and soon it was graduation time. December 9th was the exact day and I were to fly out on December 11th to Canada. Hahah, I assume you can tell where this is going. Welcome Ol'man Canadian-Winter once again! I decided to visit San Francisco on my stop-over however, it was cold and rainy bringing me little comfort of what was waiting for me back in Guelph.

Once back in Canada, the snow was already on the ground and it honestly felt as if I have never left. A year went by but the snow makes things look as if nothing has changed. The only thing which was a great help and distraction for the winter months in Canada were the winter festivities. However, come January till April, I stayed in my room, protesting against the snow. I was ready for summer fun and it could not have come any sooner. Not knowing where life will take me in the new year I was ecstatic to hear that I have been selected for an internship in Cape Town.

Google will tell you that Cape Town, South Africa is located in the southern hemisphere. Guess what my first thought was: Cape Town winter here I come !!! But surely, it's the African continent, there is no way it will be comparable to Australia (snow doesn't exist there so I won't even compare it to Canada). Well as I am writing this blog, it is Aug 5, 2011 and it snowed on Table Mountain today !!!!

So far, my introduction to Cape Town winter has been nothing close to what I have been told: cold, rainy, SUPER windy. It has been a cold start (single-digit nights), with the month of July being much warmer, 25 degrees most weekends. Not exactly sure what August has in store for us but snow was definitely not on the agenda. I guess now I am able to compare Canada and Australia to Cape Town since there is a bit of everything. I have been purchasing winter clothes yet again, but not as frequently as I did in Brisbane. I was much more prepared, knowing that I was coming to South Africa, I just had a slight feeling that I will be cold in the uninsulated houses yet again. I was right this time !

My internship will be wrapping up in November this year. I have job opportunities in both Canada and Australia. Deciding is extremely hard .....but where should I go come November ? Any thoughts :-)

The places I have seen during my stay in Cape Town, and surrounding areas I would not trade for any familiar summer. Since my stay stretches into the summer months I am very to have had this opportunity and I am looking forward to Sept-Nov. I am realizing more and more that no matter what my favourite seasons are, my favourite food, or anything for that matter, every experience brings it's own amazingness. And that, I would not trade for any old favourite :-)

Dream, live, explore!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment