Saturday, January 14, 2012

One page a day


On this day, I had the funniest conversation with a dear friend of mine who is also a writing whiz in a way. Her and I were discussing how almost 2 years ago I kept promising that I will in fact 'write a book someday'. This day is seemingly farther than I anticipated 2 years ago.

So as we were discussing writing, I told Lacey about a TED talk where a guy introduced the idea of fast novel writing. I told Lacey, "This guy said: if you write every day, 30pages a day, you could complete a novel in a [very short amount of time] (I happen to forget the exact words, but I believe it was a few months)". We were both amazed at this idea, and thought gosh, if I just had the persistence to do something like this. The man in the TED video did warn us that his novel isn't anything earth shattering, however, it is a novel,a completed novel.

I have the outline, the ideas, thoughts and everything else written down. I feel ready. I just have to start. Anticipation has been building and I'm feeling worried that I don't know what I am doing. To ease my mental resistance, I am currently reading a book by Julia Cameron, The Right to Write (a Christmas present from Erin and Marcus, 2010, which I have left behind but now seemingly good idea to read). Boy, I was right! So far she has pointed out all the myths of writing and being to write, and what it truly means to be a write. To write do so regardless of judgement. Just do it and love what you do. And only you. It's not about being good for others.

As Lacey and I are discussing my dilemma further, and I am done explaining this amazing TED, she then gently replies with something never occurred to me till our chat. "You know, even if you only wrote a page a day, there would be a 365 page book ready in a year." I stopped, as if there was something earth shattering news being shared here. Why haven't I thought about this ? Gosh, it was so simple and inviting. Thanks to my dear friend, instead of wishing I could write a fast novel, I'm just aiming to have a page done each day. I think she too was told by someone else to try this method for writing, but I cannot remember exactly. She suggested something I am going to try this year.

As I am writing this post, it is Jan 21st and I have not attempted Lacey's suggestion (back in Jan 14th). It's funny how anticipating something doesn't actually help the writing process. Reading Julia, she's done a great job explaining some of the mental limitations which I too am currently experiencing. For now, I will fill up my head with her encouraging words, and then, I will begin.

Nagyi, my grandmother has been wonderful to have me over to her place during the holiday season. My head and my outline is filled with stories which I have captured during my visit with her. I believe my 2011 visit has been the only one with a laptop. Funny how I am aware of the changes which occur each time I visit my granny. I guess, it's much easier to keep tract of your actions when you arrive to a place which you have visited all your life since the age of 5. Visiting Granny has become like my measuring stick. While I am sitting with her and talking about life, it truly gives me an insight into what I have accomplished thus far, and where I am possibly going next.

The craziest thing for me is Granny's stories. As the years go by, I realize that I am growing and maturing through Gran's stories. She elaborates on her stories based on my age. I have noticed a transformation in her story telling. I remember back to the earlier stories she used to tell me about her childhood when I too was a child. But at this last visit, she was very open and comfortable with me to learn about her married life, her family life and the struggles which it brought with them. It did take me back just a little, as I had to process all of this, all of the transformation. I am now ready to digest both past and current stories and in the process I also feel ready to jot them down in chronological order.

Exciting times. First I finish Julia's book, and I openly promise to writing a page a day (if more happens to flow out of me, I will not resist to keep on writing).

Good luck to all your own writing, if in case you too are having some road blocks along the way.

R :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment