Friday, November 13, 2015

The Pre-Vietnam Rush - Last minute never again!

Do NOT try this at home....especially if you struggle with stress and anxiety :)

A little background to my pre-travel rush story:

Some would suggest my relocation from Rankin Inlet to Iqaluit was like, 'ripping off a band aid' leaving on a Thursday, spending 3 days (Friday -Sunday) in the south to buy only the essentials for my 4 week orientation, then fly out Monday at 7 am (4 am check in) to Iqaluit....and work.

During this frantic relocation process, no surprise looking back now, my modem miraculously stopped working on my very first day in Iqaluit.  No internet for the next 4 weeks....which meant, limited reading of any sort, especially researching/planning for my very lose plans of possibly visiting a dear friend in Vietnam. I was even brave enough to consider South East Asia, travelling through multiple countries.  However, a brief discussion with a dear friend quickly snapped me out of dream world and landed me on planet earth, recognizing that I have done zero research on Vietnam to this date. 

Knowing this bit about my last 4 weeks in Iqaluit sets us up nicely to the pre-travel rush. 

I returned to Toronto on Nov 6 at 7 pm and spent a relaxing weekend with my nephews while in the back of my head I finally made the decision to visit Vietnam.  

Day 1 (Nov 9)

Monday, Nov 9 - 09:00 I make the very first phone call to the Vietnamese Embassy in Canada, where they inform me that my passport has to be valid for 6 months prior to travel and that I also need to be approved for a tourist visa. This is where the pre-Vietnam rush begins.

I was faced with getting a new passport, flight tickets and visa in the next 5 business days.  I though to myself, "How hard can this be?"

Step 1: Submit paper work for re-newing my passport 

The application asks for 2 referees to sing the form....so I called, on a Monday during work hours, all the friends I could think of and get a signature from them in person.  After securing the first 2 victims, and meeting them in person, one of them reminded me that next time just ask for their details over the phone, as signatures are not required.  True and I do hope to remember this come 2025 when my passport is due to re-new. 

Once at the passport office, I was told in order to issue my passport as 'urgent' (next day) I not only have to pay double service fee, but provide my receipt of purchased flight tickets for Monday, Nov 16.

Step 2: Book flights for Monday Nov 16 

I booked my ticket on Monday night, with my travel-agent-mother-extraordinaire however, for some reason we had to use a website rather than her own saber, as she was not able to issue my ticket. Remember this bit come day 4. 

Day 2 (Nov 10)

Faxed my flight ticket receipt at 9 am to passport office, my references were contacted at 8:30 am.....passport ready and picked up by 3pm.

Step 3: Apply for Vietnamese visa 

I called the Embassy in hopes to receive useful information, which I did, however, I was hesitant to pay their requested service prices.  I had a few friends offer their travel experiences and opted to use their recommended online visa services. I shared my ticket and passport information.....on a roll....this feels too easy to be true. 

Day 3: Remembrance day

I received news that my visa is just a payment away.....so I make my payments, and was told that my visa letter with supporting document will be available by Nov 12 at 5pm Viet time. 

The day was busy with catching up on my usual side projects and ...

Step 4: Booking accommodation and creating my travel plans 

I spent the remainder of the day searching for hostels, registering and booking my first stay in Hanoi. I was getting excited knowing that my paperwork was in order, my friends in Vietnam were excited to see me, and a dozen or so friends/people were kind enough to assist me with this rushed process. 

Life 'was' good ...

Day 4 (Nov 12)
Visa letter receiving day.....should be relaxing and packing from here on....'should be'...

I wake up Thursday morning with a care free attitude, the rush is over, and I have received my visa letter and instructions for when I arrive on Tuesday, Nov 17. 

However, there is another email below, from my booking agent, telling me that my ticket which was booked on Nov 9 (today is Nov 12) is yet to be issued and I should call them to try and book another ticket.

Wait .....what?  

I got my passport and visa issued without a purchased ticket ?  But it was a receipt....and showed the prices ....and everything!?

It is 9 am (EST) on Nov 12, and I don't have flights to Vietnam. 

Travel-agent-mother-extraordinaire to the rescue .....! 

Step 5 (in case Step 2 fails the first time): Receive an issued flight ticket 

Mom gets on the phone.....dose some lengthy paperwork to collaborate with another travel agent from a different company.....as they are the only ones who can issue the tickets I need....

I get my ticket in less than 1 hour....and by noon on Thursday I am back in travel mode.

Step 6/7: Re-arrange immigration and accommodation as per arrival time and date 

Since my arrival to Hanoi has been pushed back 1 day, Nov 18, I had to arrange with immigration, accommodation and pick-up.  But by 8:40 pm I received confirmation from both parties, that my late arrival can be easily accommodated. 

The pre-Viet rush is over!  On Day 5, I am fully stocked with official prints, copies, and paperwork.....

My flight is on Monday, Nov 16 and looking forward to my journey through a country I have yet to meet from up close.  However, thanks to friends, food, and my never ending curiosity, I have had the pleasure to learn about Vietnam and anticipate....that this will be one special place to visit.

Plus, it doesn't hurt to travel to Vietnam while you have friends hosting you.....and a wedding to help set up :) 

Gentle reminder: Do NOT try this at home....especially if you struggle with stress and anxiety :)

- R :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment