Monday, February 8, 2010

Burn, baby burn - Surfers Paradise Feb 2010



I had a fabulous experience visiting friends in Surfers Paradise (never judge a book by its cover - SP looked intimidating when I first saw the beach front from inside a car on the way back from Byron Bay, but spending the weekend here got me hooked !!). But now it is time to pack my bag and hit the road again to re-unite with more great friends in Melbourne.

However, before my next adventures, I thought I would re-cap why I look like a lobster again. Ida, I am not trying to out-win you on contracting skin problems first, I am just plain not careful enough !!!

Byron Bay-sun-burn was totally expected even as I applied spf 55 multiple times. I used sunscreen knowing that I won't survive the day with out the white stuff. However, anticipation and all, my efforts have failed me that day.

Surfers-Paradise-sun-burn occurred due to meteorologist misinforming me of the weather for Monday, Feb 8,2010. They called for a weekend and weekday of overcast and flooding due to heavy rain fall. The rain-forest-kind-of-weather has lived up to it's name, so much so that there were serious floods in cities only 20 min from us (2 lives were lost due to plain ignorance-if I can say that). Such weather was guesstimated to hold out till Tuesday, Feb 9th. After heavy rains on Sat and Sun, I believed the Meteor-guys, without a doubt. Monday morning we wake up, head to Sea World, and sure enough when I look outside there are thick clouds (left over from the weekend) and just as I enter the park, rain starts up. However, by 10am there is blazing sunshine everywhere :-)

I figure, since I am in/out of theaters, underwater aquariums, and other show experiences, there isn't much danger from the sun. WRONG! I should have spent 30$ on sunscreen today (at Sea World) because I just raised my skin-cancer-chances by another 20% !!

Today, I have finally said: enough of my naive-ness and purchased 500mL of sunscreen to use as if it was O2. I will be lathering this stuff on no matter what the forecast prepares me for. It's time to take action! If I plan on accomplishing some of my goals in this lifetime, it would help if I stick around a bit longer :-)

Overall, Surfers has been wonderful to me, and so have my hostess and host :-)
Lessons from this trip includes:

1) Kangaroo meat taste yummy, even though I think it's a creature too cute to consume

2) Sunscreen was invented for this continent (specifically), therefore: NO EXCUSES

3) Sting rays feel rubbery and jelly (to touch) at the same time

4) I should have been a marine biologist (remember when I went to the University of Hawaii-info-session in high school ?), and not listen to my GP - STILL, no regrets :-)

I am now off to Melbourne at 6am (tickets were on discount!) and hope to see, learn, experience more!!!

xoxo
R :-)


Pictures to capture the view:



























No comments:

Post a Comment