Sunday, November 21, 2010

Everyday heros on Hawken Dr.

Sunday, Nov 21 was an eventful day to begin with: Thao's 26th b-day dinner and Sunday night salsa at Casa blanka. Before then, running around to try and get some things done and get everything ready for the night. busy busy.

However, it's my walk home at 11pm which has left me with something I have only experienced through the actions of my landlord, Julie. My landlord's kind heart for saving huntsman spiders by releasing them into the neighboring suburb only to have a bunch more return back to my room is still considered a kind act towards all living creatures. She is my role model when it comes to respecting Queensland nature, none of the less.

On this night however, with the same kind heart, a man had pulled half-way off the road exactly at my house and watches as a possum walked in circles, round and round. This creature looked large with a full, healthy fur coat so I assumed nothing has happened. Then as I walked closer I saw that the circles would not stop. The gentleman who was watching over this helpless being told me the story.

This animal was spotted by someone before he arrive exactly on the other side of the road. They called animal rescue and said to be there shortly (on a Sunday at 11pm). The first person who spotted the animal has now left but this gentleman decided to stay and make sure the possum would not get hit by the next car. It's only been approx 20min of waiting by the time I got there. My house was 2 steps away but I did not have the heart to leave the man or the possum alone.

So I decided to stay and keep the two of them company till the rescuers got there. Once getting close to the animal I noticed that he may have been in a fight as one of his eyes were completely pulled from the socket and hanging. He kept walking in circles because of this, sometimes faster then slower, but never stopping. At times he would frantically walk across the entire road and we were worried that he would leave before help got there.

So we waited and waited and talked a bit about how scary it was for the little fella. We tried different techniques to keep him off the road but nothing seemed to work. Once he gained energy he headed to a front yard which had an open gate at one point. This was good for us since now the little guy was safe from the cars however, we were worried of losing site of him. Finally, just as help arrived the possum has given up and sat in one place. Maybe he was ready to just give up or wait for the morning sun.

The rescuer was very efficient in gathering him in his crate and thanked us for calling. I thanked both gentleman and told the guy who waited with his car that he did something amazing tonight. What he did was amazing!




He could have just driven off as it was a Sunday night where everyone is eager to relax while preparing for the week. He could have left just like those people who spoted this helpless animal first. But instead, he took time to find the number and call for help. He then asked every car that passed by to slowly drive by being aware of the scared and disoriented creature. I was there just for moral support since I didn't feel like I could offer anything more.

But then it got me thinking. Would I have done the same? I have no problems worrying about what my needs are. When I want to do something I just do it. But have I been walking by those who are wounded and maybe need someone to watch over them till more help is on the way? If an animal was struggling, would I stay with them and call for help. I think I may have forgotten what is important in this sometimes crazy busy world.

Being aware of what and who are around us is important. Why? You just never know when it becomes your turn to rely on those who are willing to stand by and do the same for you.


I kept asking myself, how is this guy so amazing to wait for help to come? I thought back to times where mom and I saved animals who we found wounded on our path. I feel like I haven't had the chance to do such deed as I have been too busy worrying about my concerns. Maybe it's time to make room for others.


To the gentleman who waited for this possum to be rescued,

I admire what you did tonight and thank you for the lesson. I will make better efforts to pay close attention and when appropriate pass on such act of kindness.

Sincerely,
R :-)

3 comments:

  1. Mindegyi bejedzesedet nagyon, de nagyon szeretem olvasni.
    Ezt nem csak erdekelve olvastam de meg eggyut is ereztem veled meg a kicsi alatal.
    A vegen, a tanulsagot amit irtal...igazan elgondolkodtatot.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koszi Anyu..... nagyon meg gondolkoztatot engem is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little story, Renata. I've been neglecting the blogging world lately, but I'm back, and what a great story to start with.

    ReplyDelete