Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mixed feelings and my overweight luggage - November 2010

This year has been probably more action packed than I have anticipated, even though I was actively preparing for a year of mayhem. I planned to travel and spend a year discovering people and places, culture and spaces. I was anticipating my masters to show me the way in my future career plans but not to be the focus point of this year's adventures. Now, thinking to myself, it was very naive of me to even think that a master's program can be completed in just under one year with full focus and potential. You have to remember (and some of you can even relate) that traveling has a sweet and lovely way to distract the mind. While being on the road, the mind is looking to fill up with culture, fun facts and loads of recreational readings at any chance it gets.

My brain was given mixed messages for an entire year. Starting out with trips and visiting friends down south in Melbourne and the Gold coast. Then hit hard with 4 months of action packed, sitting at a table and typing conveyor-belt-type assignments. All the work I have accomplished was extremely interesting and it has definitely teased my mind in an appropriate way. However, having the ocean shores within an hour distance by transit, it was extremely hard to wake each morning and see the blazing sun and not run towards the sand to catch some wake.

I did manage to get some sun, sand, and surf in while living in Brissy. A few trips here and there just to get the body moving and enjoying all that was around me. An escape to Fiji in June fulfilled my childhood dream and got me excited to start my career within the international public health community. I cannot wait to get involved no matter how near or far from my family. It is my calling to work within some of the more marginalized communities and to do it specifically in family planning. Now I'm just excited to find out where my road is directing me next to practice in my field :-)

Starting second semester was extremely though as my mind was still on Fiji-time! Getting back into the books was intense but again extremely teasing to the mind. I wanted to read more and understand more. Though, my strength and endurance was fading fast. Some visitors and good company lifted my drained spirit. I managed to get all my work done and with some grace and dignity earn some nice marks as well. But it was all for a large cost I must say. I am not proud of the way I crossed the finish line but none of the less it was crossed and I am feeling much advanced. Both my career and my mind are in a different place then before. The year has been filled with ups and downs and round-abouts.

Once my last paper handed in, I was done. Not necessarily with my responsibilities: classes were still on, projects were being presented. However, I was unable to even make some of these last few tasks. I just needed sleep and nothing more. I took some escapes to the water and let my mind remember why I was in such beautiful place ... in the first place.

My last 2 months were probably the most interesting of all though.

Trips planned last minute (which I was already used to so that's no big deal), completed all my paper work to have my nursing registration assessed (still in the process), deciding on when to go home and via what direction (took the entire 2 months on deciding ...and purchased the ticket exactly a week before take off). Packing everything, mailing everything, sorting, getting rid of, donating, gosh on and on.

Last 2 months also entailed saying bye to those who have had their lives planned out much ahead of me. The on-going good-bye parties-golore was also something new and extremely hard on me. But amongst all this pitter patter, I loved every minute of it !

I enjoyed constantly meeting new people, in Brissie and on the road. Everyone has been just amazing and has had something wonderful to offer, making my journey oh so memorable. Some of the most special people I met only a few weeks before my take off and I'm still shaking my head and thinking: why? Why so late in my journey that this happens. It makes leaving much more difficult. Questioning if going home was necessary.

But then I look forward, down the road ahead, and I can feel my family's hear pulling me home. Dad of course likes to voice his heart's emotions loud and clear so I knew exactly how he felt at all times. Going home is a must, and if not for me, for those who care about me the most. They are too deserving for a little Remy time.

I know I will be back soon to the wonderful land down-under. I had an amazing time getting to know everyone. I consider myself and atheist, but being blessed is difficult to explain using any other definitions. I feel blessed for having lived in such an amazing place like Hawken Dr. My landlords have been inspiring, my roommates have been extremely fun, the people I met through synchro have been kind and oh so wonderful. Coaching was a hoot with Miriam, and I have learned so much from her!

Friends and family has been interesting to juggle both near and far. Overall, life has been always kind to me in the past, and I can truly say that it was kind to me in the year 2010. I always try to think of others in my work and in my living habits. Not sure if this has something to do with the outcome of my journeys but I can say that I feel so amazing of the people and places I was surrounded by.

I don't think I need to start discussing the amount of stuff I gathered over just the past year but I had great difficulty parting with most things. I send home 40kgs and carried another 40 with me on the road..... later to discuss (as I am retrospectively writing this note).



If you managed to read this far: Thank you to everyone for making my 2010 just amazing. I have little words and a lot of happy emotions to describe this year. Travel, sports, parties, dress-ups, movies, events, oh yes and school have all been just as I have wanted it (even with more planning was involved).

Julie and Jim, thanks for being there for me :-)


Everyone, it's been so wonderful to have met you and made some fun memories !!!!!!


XO



Renata E. Mares BScN, RN, BAK, MIPH

No comments:

Post a Comment