Sunday, November 21, 2010

Moon festival - Brisbane 2010

Moon festival at 46 Hawken Drive



My roommate Thao is a lovely cook and I have been very fortunate to have experienced the many flavours she's able to create on a weekly basis. August however, was a very special occasion and she needed some help in the kitchen. I was very eager to offer some help and learn about the traditions of the Moon festival.

With lots of ladies offering their help we pulled together one amazing festival of the foods! This is a very common occasion at 46 Hawken. Ever since I moved here there has been cook-outs, barbies, gatherings as if it was a support home. But this has also been the highlight of my stay. Food brings people together, laugh, talk and share about adventures from all.

I just loved being a part of a festival so special to my roommate. You could definitely tell that she was looking forward to it. She has been preparing for days and days in advance!

































This is from another dinner party but had to show you how beautiful home-made rice-paper spring rolls are















Throughout the day more and more people joined in on the cooking fest. It started off with just Thao, her cousin and myself. Then a friend showed up to assist with making the spring rolls. By the time everyone arrived we had a fiesta for 30 people. Unfortunately Julie was not feeling the best that day so she did not get to try everything but everyone else had a fabulous time chatting.



What better way to finish off this amazing celebration day then with approximaltely 6 different desserts. There was strawberry moose, chocolate cake, caramel and strawberry jelly, and more. Oh and lets not forget the Moon cake as this was the highlight of the while festival. Just the dessert menu was a meal on its own. However, we had to make room for it in our bellies just after dinner. We spent a nice time talking and relaxing which helped when it came time for the desserts .....but we were all definitely full for a few days following the celebrations !

















My first Moon festival was wonderful!!! Amazing people, out-of-this world flavours, and laughter all night. I also have to point out the Vietnamese iced coffee is my new special dessert. It is just fabulous when you taste it! I am still craving it and I definitely know where to go and get some more :-)






R :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment