Friday, January 20, 2012

The media's manipulative influence over your morals



"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any" -Alice Walker

This video truly describes the 21st century, but really all centuries till this day which, thrives on the female figure as a medium for selling goods. However, myself and the creator of this video like to explain that males are just as much of a target by the media/corporate groups. Boys and males are also told how to behave and look in order to fit into an acceptable standards created within 'society'. there is a big BUT...

The point of the movie isn't to choose a gender and protect it. It is to show you that media, and the large corporate companies TELL YOU what MORALS ARE accepted. Are we ready to accept this ? You be the judge.






Please share your opinions on here. This is an open page for us to debate morals acceptable for the 21st century. I am willing and interested to hear your thoughts on this matter, but only when we speak about these issues, we will realize what matters to us as people, and not as corporations within the media/fashion, and other superficial business. (Let's remember, accessories are not who we are.)

Thanks for your time !
R :-)










2 comments:

  1. Renata,

    I think this article makes some very good points and it has a great list of 10 ways you can positively influence the conversation on media and women.

    Admittedly, I need to do a lot of the things on this list.

    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/pressure-proof/201201/the-bitch-the-ditz-mainstream-medias-negative-impact-women-girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Mary! Thank you for sharing ! I am honest when I say that I try very hard to follow these 10 steps, and really, there should be an 11th one (or really a step a) and b) for each of the 10) because once you try these out, it's the reactions that you have to be more prepared for and process. In being experienced in standing up for what I believe in I also have to be strong in meeting resistance to my statements.

      Renata: "that's a very sexist joke, and I don't think it's funny"
      others: "oh, don't be so up tight"

      Renata: "media is controlling our lives"
      others: "Life is short, and you have to enjoy it"

      Renata: "read between the lines"
      others: "stop being such a pessimist"

      These are just very basic examples. What I'm trying to say is, the list is great, but once you follow it, be prepared to hit resistance. Keeping a positive attitude and ready to absorb/process resistance will help you through it. I think.

      Thanks again for sharing ! I love the list !
      R :-)

      Delete