Friday, January 27, 2012

My 'to-read' List

As I travel the world, I bump into lovely people, and these lovely people share their list of readings which they feel is worth a read. I thought I would make a list for me to try and keep an inventory of the books I have on the go, or needing to get started on them.

It's hard to keep everything in my brain these days.

*(current) The Forty Rules of Love: A Novel of Rumi by Elif Shafak (Vafa suggested this to me way back in Dec 2011. I hope to get to this after my book club novel)

(done) The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obright

Bryce Courtenay is a well known author down under, but he has written some amazing books. I started reading April Fool's Day, but Dan has suggested I read The Power of One. It is about a boy in South Africa in the 1980s I believe.

(done) While I lived in South Africa, I picked up a very short and funny read called The 'racist' Guide to the people of South Africa by Simon Kilkpatric. He dared to write down the different groups of people who inhabit South Africa today, and I dared to purchase it and read it in public while traveling on planes. As an immigrant myself, I definitely enjoyed the read, and people dared to ask me if they can borrow it just for a little check. It was a fun experience. It's a book I keep on offering for people to read in hopes to get humor into the mix. It's ok to discuss :-)

(done) The Right to Write by Julia Cameron has also been a hit. Only started reading last week. It was a gift from Christmas 2010, but since I am trying to start some novel writing, it has come in handy and have addressed some of my fears thus far.

I also happen to find a book at my granny's place which I have heard a lot about but never had the chance to read it. Since I am still pretty good with my Hungarian, I started reading this book called Legy Jo Mindhalalig by Moric Zsigmond but I have put this one on hold due to the book club reading which due in two weeks. The title basically translates to "Be Good Till Death Comes".


Persuasion by Jane Austin

The Last Single Woman in America by Cindy Guidry

This Child Will Be Great by Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

*(current reading)Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I will keep this as an open post, to allow addition to the list.

Suggestions are ALWAYS WELCOME !!!

R :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment