Friday, May 11, 2012

Taking a Chance


Moving to a new country (temporarily) comes with a list of different feelings and emotions, but most would suggest that feelings of excitement ranks at the top.  In my case, the past 2 weeks have been hectic to the point where my weekends became sleeping marathons.  On April 30th I decided to call AHPRA in an attempt to negotiate (and speed up the selection process of) a new date for collecting my Australian nursing registration in person.  I have been led to believe (for the past year) that this was a common practice and comes with minimal complication.

Since 2010, I have spent enough time and energy (not to mention the amount of paperwork I notarized and mailed in) to keep me on edge since the very first day I submitted my application to the board.  Nevertheless, my paper work cleared and I received an in-principle registration.  This requires me to present to the AHPRA office in person at a date provided.  Knowing that a 'request for extension' is a possibility, I started my adventures in Red Lake both excited and relaxed about everything else.   

But not so fast!  On April 30th, lady #1 on the phone was happy and excited while she informed me about "Extensions are very common at AHPRA and I'm sure this could be arranged for your registration."  "But let me transfer you to the person managing your file"

Renata: “Wait, I have a person managing my file?  Since when!? 

During this phone call I was on gchat with Dan, providing him with play-by-play information on this nail biting telephone conversation. As I was talking to lady #1, I typed to Dan: "HURRAY !  I can get my registration extended!!!"  "I'm staying in Red Lake for the summer!" "You HAVE to come and visit me!!!"

Then, lady #2 came on the phone stating without any hesitation: "I'm sorry, your pick up date cannot be extended for this particular registration." "You have to present to the Brisbane office by June 14th or else your application will be withdrawn."

Renata: "Could I maybe speak with your manager?"

Lady #2: "Nope.  No one will be able to extend this date for you."  "I recognize that you have other commitments but I cannot help you further."  "I will send to you a formal letter stating what we have discussed."

Renata: (silence) while typing to Dan: "HOLLY crap, they cannot extend the date!!!!!"  "I think I'm moving to Oz!"  "Are you ready for a roommate?!"

Dan: " :-) " 

Once I felt defeated enough to stop asking further questions I hung up the phone.  My heart beating in my throat, excitement and disappointment racing through my body.  Who to tell first: Mom and Dad?  Dan's parents?  All the lovely people at the clinic?  My friends who were planning to visit me in Red Lake?  Or search and listen to ABBA - Take a chance? (it is common for me to think of a song at the exact moment a significant event has occurred).

Uncertain and confused, I decided to slowly follow the above list in order and break the news as best as one could. I first chat with Dan, making sure that he does in fact wants a roommate on such short notice.  His answer was: "Yes!"  

This was followed by a call to my parents.  As expected they were shocked, then concerned, and lastly, they asked me to sleep on it and call them back the next day to discuss further.  This would give them a bit of time to realize what just happened.  So, I called them the next day to discuss in further detail.  I used the weekend to sleep off the steam this news has created.   By the end of the week, enough time has passed to address my situation from every angle and break the news to the people at the clinic.

The feeling of letting people down is a dreadful experience, but from me, this was only the beginning and escaping the facts was not an option for me. By the time you read this blog post, family, friends and everyone at the clinic have received the news.  I’m moving to Australia.

Just on a side note (more like story), in the last week or so I started getting Chinese take-out on my Fridays, to mark the end of a work week.  Fortune cookies in the past have never been on par with my life goals but reading them has always brought me pleasure.  On this particular week, my fortune cookie read: 

"Take that chance you've been considering."

Though my fortune came after all decisions were made, these words did ease some of the tension I have been experiencing.  Not to say that my fortune will make packing, saying good-bye, and starting over again any easier, but it sure was something lovely to receive at the end of a hectic week.  I find the 3 activities listed in the previous sentence are tough to overcome and funny enough, they never seem to get easier, regardless of practice.

Red Lake has been a wonderful place to get to know, and the people I will miss dearly.  It is unknown what’s in store for me now, I just hope Red Lake will be part of it someday again soon.

R :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment