Thursday, December 17, 2015

Day 1: Ha Long Bay, Vietnam

I enjoy my very first morning in Vietnam on the roof top of my hostel at 7am awaiting for my breakfast.  As I'm waiting patiently, my senses kick in and start to hear and smell the streets of Hanoi.

Birds are chirping and people are quietly talking.....i can also hear the humming noise of the bikes and scooters as they drive by.  Honking disrupts the peaceful morning here and there but I manage to tune them out.  Just as I receive my breaki, toast, fruit and eggs..... I take a photo and as I get ready for my first  bite....


Propaganda radio begins with their morning music and a loudly speaking voice in Vietnamese explaining some story which I do not understand.....

Goodbye peaceful breaki and digestion....I finish up before the one hour propaganda radio is completed...and head downstairs to ask where to begin my exploration for the day.  I have made a list of essential things to buy but overall my schedule is free.

After explaining my plans for the first week in Vietnam, the front desk staff quickly interrupts my train of thought.  She recommends that I head out to Ha Long Bay today....in the next 20 min....and get this tour out of the way.

One day tour to Ha Long bay is booked in a blink of an eye...all I had time for to grab my bag and change clothes. The journey took about 4 hours with one rest stop but not long enough to grab a lunch nor a toilet brake.

Once in Ha Long Bay we are ushered towards our boat tour and get ready to board the vessel. I ended up sitting with a very sweet Vietnamese couple who speak almost no English....but we seemed to understand each other.





Lunch was served almost immediately we left the harbour.  Fish, pho, omelet and many other delicious things were served up.  The Vietnamese lady was very lovely in serving me with her chop stick as I was too far to reach the fish.  With out thinking much, I presented my bowl and she helped me to some fish.  However, the guy next to me from the UK was not prepared to eat from someone else's utensil. He refused the fish already served to him and made an excuse like....going to take pictures.  I only realized after what has happened.....but clearly....I have been served so many times by others I didn't even take notice. It was funny once I clued in but I hope the lady didn't feel bad. I kept eating in order to show that it wasn't a bother for me and in hopes to keep the mood relaxed.

After lunch we had the chance to kayak or use boats to see 2 caves. Followed by a hike through a different cave with lime stone formations. While the places we visited were beautiful....it was difficult to take scenic photos due to large crowds hovering at every corner.

Oh well.  It was worth the trip but I don't think I would have benefited from staying multiple days.  

Plus, I was more excited for the hike planned in Sapa.

Tomorrow I plan on discovering Hanoi before my night bus ride to Sapa.

Cheers
-R :-)















No comments:

Post a Comment