Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chilly in Brissy - June 28th marks the coldest day since this time last year

To all those non-believers and believers who say I am too soft:

Yes, I am Canadian, and yes I do know what -30 degrees feels like in a heated car, with warm clothes on and while being in an insulated house (heater cranked to 25+). But I never imagined what an Oz winter 'could' be like.

Some of my dear Canadian friends who have paid a visit to Oz before me (and have stayed for months at a time) had this to say: "Pack for a hot climate, and in winter you will need a few sweaters but nothing major". "Winter weather in the day time is never less than 15-20 degrees". With this in my mind I think to myself: oh, great, I will wear thongs (aka: flip-flops) and swim wear throughout the year !!! (Good-bye to all my knitted sweaters and scarfs, since you won't be needed in Oz)

Not quite.

This is what I wear on an average day when staying indoors/ to bed:
(Since June 28th till today, June 29th @ 9 am record cold reported in Queensland)
- undershirt
- long sleeves
- sweater
- Soccaroos scarf (warmer then all my other light scarves)
- yoga pants
- "Uggs" boots (when I get out of bed/shower)
- socks
- blanket wrapped around my body
- blanket under my duve
- duve
- hot beverage with me: tea or coffee or just plain hot water (with honey) to drink

(at times I would even sleep with my only jacket I have with me from home)


I have been dressing and drinking like this since the end of May and my finger tips can't seem to stay warm once my mug runs out. The weather is definitely something you have to experience in person. To bare the cold inside my house you must load on the clothes and when deciding to head outside you quickly rip off the layers and run out the door to stand under the sun.

Winter in QLD is comfortable. To say 'winter' and see the sun shining while flowers bloom is something I can (and already have) get used. However, at any time of the day, rain or shine, you enter 46 Hawken Dr. and you feel as if you have entered into a fridge. (This statement have been supported by Canadian and Australian and German friends of mine). I now understand the mechanism a 'Queenslander' house (homes typically built in this state of Australia are known for the amazing breeziness and the ability to stay cool in the warmest temperatures - and in my case, stays cold in the coolest temperatures as well !)

The first time I laid eyes on 46 Hawken I adored the place and felt a real connection to the unique zen throughout the house. In the first few months living here, I got a taste of the Ozi heat-wave but felt quite comfortable both day and night in my breezy new place. Then, at the end of May (and to present), something very interesting occurred: each morning and each night it would get so cold that I find myself loading on the layers. Before, I used no covers, now I had 4 blankets and my only coat on me (and the list of other things mentioned above) in bed. Taking a shower when outside read single digits was the most awakening experience. "Ah, so maybe this is what it was like to shower in Romania (with no heat) while Ceausescu was in power". Mom has told me a few stories during those times and how food and electricity was also scares. For me, my only major challenge was keeping warm each morning and night.

Now, bring in the Uggs! First off, I would like to explain how intolerant I was of these Neanderthal-like foot-ware as it invaded UWO's (and most uni) undergraduate student population during my past studies. Uggs with tucked in lulu's (these are a brand of yoga pants) during the Canadian winter-slush seemed like it was the most posh look one can sport. However, times change and so has the weather in Brissie to something that requires little more then socks and pants. As I am comfortably writing this blog, I am wearing yoga pants (not naming the label) tucked into my brand new Uggs (not the real deal) and sending many thanks to whoever invented these boots. I still do not approve of them being worn during the Canadian snow season, but I now have an appreciation and an understanding why these were invented in Australia in the first place. Let's keep these cute and furry invention to those that need them the most :-)

(To be totally honest, none of my Ozi friends believe me when I tell them that Uggs in Canada are worn out in public. They actually smile at the thought that anyone would find such creation as a fashion statement. Uggs were invented to keep feet warm indoors in homes like the Queenslanders which are built for maximum air-cooling -effect! Oh, I also forgot to mention surfers who use Uggs to quickly warm up the toes after being in the water)

So there you have it folks. Winter in Oz during the day-time is cool and comfortable. Once the sun disappears though it's a whole different experience. Thanks to my old roommate, I now have a heater and happily enjoying my sauna hoping that the hydro bill won't be through the roof.

To try and conserve water and electricity, I started consuming over and beyond my normal intake of tea and coffee. As this continued I realized that dehydration have become a problem and that's when hot water with honey became the next best thing. Hot milk and hot cereal was added to the list when I realized that something has to give and eating or drinking anything cold would defeat the purpose of the hot shower taken a few minutes before hand. At this point yogurt and any other foods that are expected to be consumed cold has been cut out from my shopping list till warmer days :-) (this includes some fruits as well).

Again, this is not to discuss the problems that comes when living in a Queenlander during the cold winter months but rather document how well humans are able to adapt to their environment when the need arises. I am loving my little home on Hawken and would not trade this place for anything ....but the warm-days are welcomed any day now.


Che-che-cheers,

R :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment